A Fine Mingling - D.W. Marchwell
3.5 Stars

I was excited to see this book on the Coming Soon list, and I snatched it up as soon as I could. I absolutely love D.W. Marchwell’s books, and I feel like it’s been forever since there was a new book to read. Unfortunately, I was pretty much let down once I read the book.

Alistair McInnis moved into his sister’s basement to help her out when her douchey ex-husband left her to raise their son, Jared, alone. Abigail is going to law school, so Alistair is Jared’s primary caregiver most of the time.

After an act of vandalism ruined a playground their father had built when they were kids, the community decides to rebuild it. This is where Ben Forrester enters the story. He volunteers to work at the build site, and he meets Alistair at the planning meeting.

Alistair is pretty jaded due to past relationships, Ben is as well, so they decide to take their relationship slow. At the same time, Abigail starts dating the police officer next door. There was very little drama or conflict in this story. It was, for the most part, just a sweet romance.

It seemed the author was trying to develop some plot points, but they just kind of faded away with no resolution. Abigail may or may not be leaving town for a job—it was never clarified. There may or may not be a surgery for Jared—it was never clarified. Ben asked Alistair an important question I still don’t know the answer to—it was never clarified. The writing was done well, the characters were fun, but the story just left me wanting more. I don’t know if the author intends a sequel to answer all of our burning questions or not, but I just feel as if the story was incomplete.

Again, I adore all of D.W. Marchwell’s other books, and I would highly recommend them. This one just didn’t quite do it for me.

description