The Only Guy (The Guy Series) - Skylar M. Cates
When Aaron Weiss was discharged from the Army, he made a decision to find out what happened to the boy, now man, that he was head over heels in love with as a teenager. This is the same person that broke Aaron’s heart when he didn’t exactly welcome Aaron’s advances. In the process of looking for his youthful crush, he comes face to face with Jesse, the crush’s younger brother. Jesse was a faithful penpal to Aaron while he was in the Army, but Aaron never noticed the hero worship Jesse had for him.

Now, years later, Aaron comes face to face with Jesse and both men realize there is a mutual attraction, but Jesse knows Aaron only had eyes for his brother, so it will be a long road if Aaron wants to begin any kind of relationship with Jesse.

A broken down car forces the men to spend some time together, and they end up forming a tenuous friendship that Jesse hopes to build on, but his hopes are dashed when Aaron heads back to the city and leaves Jesse by himself again.

They are reunited at Jesse’s parents’ anniversary party, some harsh truths are brought to Aaron’s attention, and he begins to see Jesse in a whole new light. From that point on, Jesse and Aaron begin to explore their feelings and start building a strong foundation for the future.

While attending a wedding, Aaron’s medical condition acts up and lands Aaron in the hospital. With a future filled with rehab, Aaron tries to push Jesse away for his own good, but Jesse isn’t going to lose Aaron again, even if he has to fight Aaron’s overprotective mother.

This was a well written, sweet love story. Aaron had to face some hard truths about people he thought he knew and also had to own up to the fact that he wasn’t always a good person. One of the hardest things he had to do was let go of his pride if he ever wanted to find that elusive happiness he has been seeking.

Skylar Cates won me over with The Guy From Glamour, but she completely captivated me with The Only Guy. I would highly recommend this title and the first book in the series. Each could be read as standalone books, but I think they complement each other so much they should be read together. I am anxiously awaiting any other books in the series, but I don’t know what Ms Cates could do to top this one.

description