Hidden Identity: The Jimmy McSwain Files - Adam Carpenter
I haven’t read this author before. After reading the blurb I was really excited to read this one. I really can’t pass up a private investigator story, ever.

I really loved the style in which the author chose to tell this story. The memory about his father’s death was told in third person by the main character. It was very well executed and gives the readers a little background of what drives the main character to do what he does. The rest of the story is told from Jimmy’s POV; he’s definitely never gotten over the loss of his father.

The pacing of this story flows very easy, never a dull moment. We follow Jimmy as he wraps up one investigation and begins a new one. I loved how the author makes you think you know what’s going on, but you really don’t. Cleverly done. As to not give many spoilers away, this new case is pretty cut and dry, but some incidents occur that made me scratch my head and wonder what the hell was going on and who was behind it all. A few times I thought I had it all figured out and knew who the bad guy was, but something always happened that threw my theory right out the window. I love how the author keeps the reader in the dark until the very end.

As for the romance, yes, there is a love interest, but it doesn’t really go anywhere. I was okay with that. Being inside Jimmy’s head we know his first love is his job. He’s not quite over a past relationship, he’s just not ready to give a hundred percent. We see a good candidate for a boyfriend come and go during the course of the book. We also see a new potential lover come into play, but again, we don’t see any development between them. I’m fine with that but other readers who want that HEA, or even a HFN, will be disappointed. It just didn’t happen here.

The secondary characters were a big part of this story and a big part of Jimmy’s life, from his sisters and mother, to his father’s old friends, to the new people he encounters while working his cases. I felt each and every one of these characters play a significant role in Jimmy’s life and well being. They definitely added spark and intrigue to the storyline.

Overall, I really liked this story. I enjoyed getting to know Jimmy as well as some of the other characters here. I’m hoping the author plans on more Jimmy McSwain books. I would love to revisit Jimmy and follow along with the investigations and, hopefully, see him find his HEA.

description